The Church  


This Grade 1 listed church was built before 1286, but this is the first date we have for a recorded name of a priest who was Richard de Halyngleghe.
Although the church has been extended over the years, its most remarkable feature is the timbered tower which was probably constructed in the late 13th Century.   It consists of an octagonal ground floor and a square upper story above which rises an 80 foot octagonal shingle-clad spire.   The whole structure is braced and strengthened by a system of massive oak pillars, beams and trusses, giving a truly impressive demonstration of the skills of medival craftsmen.  The beautiful 14th Century South porch has an entrance which is a natural arch made of two halves of a colossal oak trunk and inside the church there is a lovely 13th Century font.


Also included in the features which have created a building of great beauty, are windows dating back to the 13th Century, which bear ancient heraldic quartering.  The Lady chapel features a stained glass window designed by the famous 20th Century silversmith Omar Ramsden.


the 13th century font